Thursday, July 21, 2011

Uncle Cliff's

You can tell how long someone has lived in Albuquerque by what they call our local amusement park.  Long timers like me remember when it was Uncle Cliff's, where newcomers know it as it's new,  less creepy name - plain old "Cliff's".  Every year my company hosts a picnic at Cliff's for all employees and our families.  Sometimes they even spring for t-shirts.  This year was exciting for us because we knew Connor would like some of the rides.  As usual, we were surprised and amused by his reactions to things.

We started with the little train or "choo-choo".  It took Connor a while to warm up but he was soon delighted.

Jaimee and Lily rode with us and also had a good time. 


It was really warm so we took a break from rides to enjoy the mist fans.  Almost as fun as a ride!


Connor seemed skeptical of the Merry Go Round at first but asked for "more" as soon as it stopped.  


After two spins around on the horsey, we went to wait for the big kids to ride the log ride.  It was a perfect opportunity for Connor and Lily to be adorable. 


On our way to dinner, we stopped to chat with some coworkers.  Connor insisted on fist bumping (knuckles) each person we spoke with...twice.   Then came the highlight of the evening.  A barbecue dinner. Or, if you're Connor, a watermelon feast with a side of hot dog bun.




He ate three or four of these watermelon slices. I  lost count.  He would have also eaten the rind, but Lily told him "you no eat the green part". The upswing of this feast was the sugar from the fruit reenergized him.   The first after dinner activity was walking with the boys. 


Then as JJ rode the most terrifying ride ever, Connor showed off his "splits" and Lily followed suit. I'm pretty sure I was told to "Mama splits" and was doing my splits while taking this shot. 


We headed back to the merry-go-round for three more rides.  Connor was such a pro by this point, we let him ride solo.  I love Lily watching with interest in the background. 


The last ride of the evening was the helicopter.  Connor was too short to go alone so Thomas crammed himself in there rode along with Connor. 


On our way out of the park, the kids burned off what was left of their energy by chasing each other around this tree.  


It was a fun night and we're all looking forward to going back soon. In the meantime, do you know where I can get a good deal on some watermelon?

3 comments:

  1. Haha! This post reminded me of two funny things I'd forgotten about: (1) The splits, and (2) Lily advising Connor on how to eat watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire Thomas for his "anything for my boy" approach to life. His squeezing into that little seat must have been a treat to watch.

    I'm with Connor on the watermelon eating. Except, he stays a lot cleaner than I do when I eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the splits. Ben is also a huge fan of watermelon. What kid isn't, I guess. We have to get Connor and Ben together soon, with Lily to boss them around. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete